CFSTYLE.com congratulates the team behind the Caribbean Fashion Awards which will take place on April 11th 2009 in Barbados. 5 questions with the team behind the event:
1. What is the concept behind Caribbean Fashion Awards?
The Caribbean Fashion Awards was conceptualized in effort to showcase artistry through fashion and also to award those who have given of their time to promote and develop Caribbean Fashion for the last 30years. The Caribbean Fashion Awards extended a warm welcome to over 10 Caribbean Countries to participate in this spectacular event held in Trinidad and Tobago April 11-13th 2008. Countries invited included, Barbados, Jamaica, Antigua, St. Kitts, Guyana, St. Thomas USVI, St. Vincent and St. Lucia.
2. How long has this event been around?
The Caribbean Fashion Awards have been around for two years.
3. What is the next step for Caribbean fashion?
The next step for Caribbean fashion is to:
1. Brand successfully, which will indeed put Fashion in a more profitable position internationally.
2. Training and Educational Programmes for Designers
3. Making the Caribbean one of the Biggest Fashion Mecca’s in the world by selling Caribbean Clothing thought-out all hotels and towns within The Caribbean as we bring the International Market to the Caribbean.
4. Create Manufacturing opportunities within the region for mass production
5. Making the Caribbean an all inclusive destination where tourist can not only enjoy our sea and sand but our culture, Fashion and Music as an art form.
6. Marketing Caribbean Products through the Internet for the world to see.
4. Who does the awards honour?
The Caribbean Fashion Awards recognizes the achievements of individuals and entities in the region’s fashion arena. The event also honours the “Trail Blazers”, those who have worked tirelessly over the years to develop a fashion industry in the Caribbean and whose contributions have directly influenced the current state of the industry in the region.
5. Memorable Moments from CFA 2008
A capacity audience of over 500 patrons was on hand to witness the historic event, including Ministers of Government from Trinidad and Tobago, Ambassadors from Panama, Brazil, Canada and Columbia. Her Excellency RT. Hon. June Yulie-Williams Ambassador for Trinidad & Tobago (the event’s patron), and Government officials from St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Barbados and Antigua were among those who continue to applaud the idea and have confirmed their involvement for 2009.
Following the event, in a glowing review Ambassador of the Republic of Panama, His Excellency Gerardo Maloney Francis, informed Unique Productions Worldwide the Producers of the Caribbean Fashion Award that Panama would love to host this event within the weekend for Caribbean culture in Panama in 2009. He also said workshops and tours to his country to showcase the fashion industry would also be introduced.
Her Excellency RT. Hon June Yuile-Williams told the media that she endorsed the idea from the inception and will continue to support any developments to help with the Caribbean creative industries.
The media covering the event included Sister 2 Sister, Runwaynews.com, Game Sports Magazine, Sole Magazine ,Carib News, SHE Caribbean ,Posh Caribbean, Caribbean Belle, R.A.S.H Magazine ,Synergy TV, CNMG, WIN TV, Cross Country Media, NewsDay, Express News, Guardian News, Express Women, SKNVIBES.com.
The Caribbean Fashion Awards received great reviews from the media in Trinidad and the Caribbean.
Trinidad Women Express 2 page spread (Taking Fashion to another Level)
Trinidad Mirror 2 page speed (Talking Fashion, Yes it’s was an event to remember)
Trinidad Express (CFA was the Power of the Dream)
The event continued to be published in the Trinidadian news papers and television stations three weeks after the event was held on the island. CNMG, Synergy TV, NCN 4, WIN TV. This event was also aired on Caribvision which covers over 21 territories within the Caribbean and on Direct TV in the USA. She Caribbean, Caribbean Belle, Sister 2 Sister, Posh Caribbean, and Runwaynews.com will have highlights and reviews in upcoming issues.
Vote for the nominations for the awards here.