Don’t underestimate the power of underwear.
Believe me, there are few things worse than – and absolutely no reason for – Visible Panty Lines (VPL), bras and bra straps with backless/strapless tops and wearing the wrong kind of support for your body type. In this day and age there are so many options available that there is no excuse for being noticed in what should be a fantastic outfit, for all the wrong reasons!
Here is your guide to the perfect basic undergarment wardrobe, which will serve as a great foundation for any outfit:
Panties, thongs, briefs, boy-shorts, French knickers, body shapers, lace, cotton, lycra, seamless… the list of choices is endless. A good start to your underwear collection would be a selection of panties for daily use in cotton. They allow your body to breathe and are a much healthier choice than wearing lace or other synthetic underwear every day, which can irritate your skin over time and cause further unwanted and irritating issues!
Thongs – They were all the rage in the late 90s as the perfect solution for tight-fitting clothing, in order to avoid VPL. We believe the thong’s best use is for the in-again, out-again fitted white pant… but please, no black underwear under white clothing! This is a definite no-no! Try a nude/skin-tone instead…
Boy-shorts – Perfect for the more active women who like to have a little more support than a panty, the boy-short also eliminates the VPL as it ends under the buttocks and is a more comfortable choice than the thong for many women. They also help to smoothen out any dimples or cellulite in the buttocks, giving the perfect bottom curve! We think that boy-shorts/briefs are great to wear with jeans.
Most importantly: The beauty of seamless. Today’s technology in fashion and textiles allows for multi-purpose underwear to suit every budget and lifestyle. Invest in seamless underwear and we promise you won’t regret it! Not only does it reduce the appearance of underwear beneath your clothing, it also eliminates those pesky indentations left by elasticated underwear!
First and foremost, know what your correct bra size is! We cannot stress the importance of this not only for your appearance, but also for your health! Bras that are too big will provide no support and bras that are too small can cause problems with your back and posture, not to mention the general feeling of being uncomfortable and always having to adjust!
T-shirt bra – a staple underwear garment, it smoothes curves and blends in perfectly with your clothing for the best shaping, support and comfort. Every girl needs one!
Strapless bra – if you can afford to, buy one in black, white and nude (skin tone). A strapless bra is most definitely an investment that can’t be ignored! There is nothing worse than seeing strapless tops with ugly white bra straps that were never meant to be seen!
Multi-way bra – Again, this is an investment and should definitely be on your list to purchase if you haven’t already. Some brands offer up to 60 different ways of wearing just one bra, to suit every style of outfit. You can’t deny that this is value for money!
Pushup/Balconette bra – For the inner vixen who is proud of her assets, this is the perfect bra for the right amount of cleavage and attention. Please don’t be one of those women who wears smaller bras in order achieve this look – not only is it unhealthy, nobody likes the stuffed look and the double breast will never be a fashion statement! However, if you opt for a pushup bra, be sure to wear the right size, as too much lift can cross the line between classy and tacky!
Sports bra – necessary for the active women, especially those of a busty nature. Preserve the longevity of your assets by providing them with the proper support when they need it and your body in general will thank you. Make sure that the straps rest comfortably on your back and shoulders without digging into your skin. Wireless or not is your personal choice but again, be sure that nothing is digging into you and leaving any marks!
Important underwear rules:
- Size, size, size! Know it and follow it. Leave your pride at the door when tempted to pick up a Small over a Medium… What matters is not the label, but the support and comfort in the fit of the garment, so don’t be stubborn!
- Colour – patterns are lovely but remember that underwear – in 99% of cases – should never be seen. Bra and panty sets are lovely for spicing it up every now and then, but for daily use and when you aren’t sure what will work, nude/white and black are the colours for you. Try to have every item in each of these colours if you can.
- Cotton is always your best bet for comfort and allowing your skin to breathe.
- If you find yourself constantly adjusting your clothing, then your underwear may be the problem. The same goes for adjusting your underwear, which should never have to happen!
- Tuck in your tags, or if you can’t control them, cut them out! Nothing worse than visible tags!
- Remember that these are the basic pieces you should aim to have in your collection first. Build upon this for a little bit of spice, a little bit of sexy and a little bit of fun! Lingerie is underwear’s feisty cousin after all!
***Do you have any other underwear dos and don’ts to share with the CFstylers? Share your opinions or tips and tricks below!***